December 18-20, 2018 – We are full with a Wait List. Thank You Everyone!!!!
Each December, the North Hill breaks for the Holidays; but not before holding the “Hogs and Hoppers” bonspiel. The format is loosely based upon the Ryder Cup (golf); wherein each night one set of teams (Hogs) plays against the other “side” (Hoppers). Each side has an equal number of teams (maximum of twelve teams each). The bonspiel goes for three nights with a differing format each night (see below). Points are awarded for each game played and aggregated after each night of play. Points are allocated such that neither side can win before the final night.
This bonspiel is totally about fun and is a great way to introduce friends to curling. No one takes the competition that seriously (you can’t, as the other teams on your side won’t tolerate it!). For the past few years, most teams are formed from within the Club but usually are not established teams. That doesn’t mean that teams or players from other clubs or leagues aren’t welcomed; just that, it fills up fairly quickly.
The winning side does get a monetary reward, however it’s not that significant. Prior to the event the Club solicits prizes (hats, sweaters, wine, re-gifts, golf balls; anything you have) from its membership. These are augmented as needed by the committee. All are wrapped and numbered. Each participant draws for a prize; which leads to some interesting bartering afterwards! It’s a great way to ease into the holidays.
- Entry Fee per Team is $120. Two draws each night- 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm. Each side plays for points. The side with the most points at the end of the tournament wins bragging rights and Prizes. Two sides of 12 teams Hogs (Warthogs) and Hoppers (Grasshoppers).
- Hogs will be RED Rocks, Hoppers YELLOW.
- Hammer on following nights will be determined by side (Hogs or Hoppers) that is leading in points. The team behind will have the Hammer.
- The draw is split into three events – see below for each evenings’ layout
Tuesday Night: Team Rotation Match (20 points/game)
Hogs will have hammer on all sheets and throw Red stones
- Teams identified in the draw will play a 6 end game. 5 points will be awarded to each sheets’ winning colour.
- After each end the team will shift sheets. Hogs (red) will move right two sheets, Hoppers (yellow) will move left one sheet.
- The score will remain, with the new teams picking up on the game as it was left by the preceding team. Conventional curling rules apply.
6:30 pm Draw Time
Starting on: Hogs vs Hoppers
Sheet 1: Bowler vs Karpa
Sheet 2: Kalynchuk vs Duncan
Sheet 3: Windover vs Watkin
Sheet 4: Hineman vs Heacock
Sheet 5: Flintoft vs King
Sheet 6: DeBernardo vs Solvason
8:30 pm Draw
Starting on: Hogs vs Hoppers
Sheet 1: Ector vs Lewis
Sheet 2: Skeith vs Bradley
Sheet 3: Reynolds vs Schiewe
Sheet 4: Burns vs Jarvis
Sheet 5: Heikkinen vs Varga
Sheet 6: McLaughlin vs De Peuter
Evening Events: Chili served starting around 7 pm. Big Rock glasses will be given out with ONE free beer. Thank you Big Rock!
Wednesday Night: To Steal or Not To Steal?
Hammer or Steal? (30 pts/game)
Format: (6 End Game)
Hogs will be Red Rocks, Hoppers Yellow.
Is it better to be one down with the hammer, or one up without? Now is the time to find out. The team without the Hammer will be spotted 6 points. The team with the Hammer will then be tasked to score one or more points to hopefully catch up and win the game….Beware of teams that are good thieves. The game will be played conventionally, except the last rock will not change.
The Hogs (RED) playing the 6:30 game, will NOT have the Hammer throughout all 6 ends.
The Hoppers (YELLOW) playing the 6:30 game Will have the Hammer throughout all 6 ends.
The Hogs (RED) playing the 8:30 game, Will have the Hammer throughout all 6 ends.
The Hoppers (YELLOW) playing the 8:30 game will NOT have the Hammer throughout all 6 ends.
6:30 pm Draw
Sheet: Hogs (Steal) vs Hoppers (Hammer)
Sheet 1 Burns vs Schiewe
Sheet 2 Heikkinen vs Jarvis
Sheet 3 McLaughlin vs Varga
Sheet 4 Ector vs De Peuter
Sheet 5 Skieth vs Lewis
Sheet 6 Reynolds vs Bradley
8:30 pm Draw
Sheet: Hogs (Hammer) vs Hoppers (Steal)
Sheet 1: Hineman vs King
Sheet 2: Flintoft vs Solvason
Sheet 3: DeBernardo vs Karpa
Sheet 4: Bowler vs Duncan
Sheet 5: Kalynchuk vs Watkin
Sheet 6: Windover vs Heacock
Evening Events: Munchies available after your game. Also, Big Rock will have a free beer tasting booth on the dance floor at around 8:00 pm. Thanks again to Big Rock!
Thursday Night: Skins Game (280 total points)
Hogs will continue to throw Red stones. The hammer will be awarded to the side that is behind after Wednesday’s games
Please prepare to be at the rink from 6:30-11:00 pm, prizes will be after the final games.
- Each end will be worth points. Games will be 6 ends, a halftime break for libations is permitted.
- Traditional skins rules in effect: Team with the hammer must score 2 or more, team without the hammer must steal 1 or more to win the end. Ends are carried over if not won. Any points not won in the final end are split evenly. Hammer transfers as per regular game.
- Two Point Values in Games: Six Games will be worth 30 points (typically on late draw); the other five games will be worth 20 points
- 20 points game scoring
- End#1&2 (2 pts ea), End#3&4 (3 pts ea), End#5 (4 pts), End#6 (6 pts)
- 30 point game scoring
- End#1&2 (3 pts ea), End#3 (4 pts), End#4 (5 pts), End#5 (6 pts), End#6 (9 pts)
- Finger Food available after the games.
- Gift Night – Santa has come early! Pick a number out of a hat to receive your gift.
- Door prizes drawn after the late game. (Must be present to Claim)
- Note to Skips: *If you have players under the age of 18 on your team please notify the office.*
Interested in playing?
The sign up sheet is at the bar in the lounge upstairs, or you may always contact us as well!