Hogs & Hoppers
Hogs & Hoppers is on Dec 20 – 22, 2022.
Registration is Closed as we have 24 PAID teams.
Each December, the North Hill breaks for the Holidays; but not before holding the “Hogs and Hoppers” bonspiel. The format is loosely based upon the Continental Cup, wherein each night one set of teams (Hogs) plays against the other “side” (Hoppers). Each side has an equal number of teams (maximum of twelve teams each). This year’s edition runs two evenings with a differing format each night (see below). Points are awarded for each game played and aggregated after each night of play. Points are allocated such that neither side can win before the final night.
Hogs & Hoppers is totally about fun and is a great way to introduce friends to curling. No one takes the competition that seriously (you can’t, as the other teams on your side won’t tolerate it!). For the past few years, most teams are formed from within the Club but usually are not established teams. That doesn’t mean that teams or players from other clubs or leagues aren’t welcomed; just that, it fills up fairly quickly.
The winning side does get a monetary reward, however it’s not that significant. Prior to the event the Club solicits prizes (hats, sweaters, wine, re-gifts, golf balls; anything you have) from its membership. These are augmented as needed by the committee. All are wrapped and numbered. Each participant draws for a prize; which leads to some interesting bartering afterwards! It’s a great way to ease into the holidays.
The Rules for 2022:
- Entry Fee per Team is $200.00
- Two draws each night- 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm. Each side plays for points. The side with the most points at the end of the tournament wins bragging rights and Prizes. Two sides of 12 teams Hogs (Warthogs) and Hoppers (Grasshoppers).
- Hogs will be RED Rocks, Hoppers YELLOW.
- Hammer on following nights will be determined by side (Hogs or Hoppers) that is leading in points. The team behind will have the Hammer.
- The draw is split into two events – see below for each evenings’ layout
CLICK HERE for this Year’s FORMAT & DRAW TIMES!!!!!
Tuesday Night: December 20th
‘Hey Curl Friend Mixer!’
Play one (1) end, then move left (facing glass, your left). Hogs RED move left two (2) sheets
(i.e., Sheet 1 à Sheet 3), Hoppers YELLOW moves left one (1) sheet (i.e., Sheet 1 à 2). Pick up the game where it left off on the sheet.
Conventional curling game applies. Keep moving as per above instructions after each end.
Evening Events: Chili served starting around 7 pm.
Wednesday Night: December 21st
‘Steal or Hammer?’
Is it better to be one down with the hammer, or one up without? The team without the Hammer will be spotted 6 points.
The team with the Hammer (Hammer is determined by the previous nights’ low overall score) will then be tasked to score one or more points to hopefully catch up and win the game….Beware of teams that are good thieves. Conventional Play, except the hammer will not change and both teams adhering to the 5-rock free guard zone rule.
Thursday December 22nd:
Please prepare to be at the rink from 6:30-11:00 pm, prizes will be after the final games.
Click here for the SKINS Draw
- Each end will be worth points. Games will be 6 ends, a halftime break for libations is permitted.
- Traditional skins rules in effect: Team with the hammer must score 2 or more, team without the hammer must steal 1 or more to win the end. Ends are carried over if not won. Any points not won in the final end are split evenly. Hammer transfers as per regular game.
- Finger Food available after the games.
- Gift Night – Santa has come early! Pick a number out of a hat to receive your gift.
- Door prizes drawn after the late game. (Must be present to Claim)
- Note to Skips: *If you have players under the age of 18 on your team please notify the office.*
Interested in playing?
SEND AN EMAIL TO email@example.com